Manifesto for a Fair Society
The cuts that are being imposed by central government in the United Kingdom are very unfair because they target the poor and disabled people. However it is not enough to fight the cuts, we also need to think what we are fighting for.
The Manifesto for a Fair Society was developed to share 8 key ideas for a fairer society:
1. Human Rights - society and our welfare system needs to be founded upon our human rights.
2. Clear Entitlements - everyone must know what we are entitled to and how to control it.
3. Early Support - we must help each other avoid crises and family breakdown.
4. Equal Access - we need full and equal access to homes, jobs, communities and all opportunities.
5. Choice & Control - everyone should have the freedom to make their own choices and shape their own lives.
6. Fair Incomes - everyone must have the security of a decent minimum income.
7. Fair Taxes - everyone must make a fair contribution, without hidden taxes on the poorest.
8. Financial Reform - our systems must be sustainable and affordable for the future.
The publisher is The Centre for Welfare Reform.
Manifesto for a Fair Society 2012 © Campaign for a Fair Society 2012.
All Rights Reserved. No part of this paper may be reproduced in any form without permission from the publisher except for the quotation of brief passages in reviews.